Thursday, January 31, 2008

Acadiana

Acadiana

901 New York Avenue
Washington, DC
Metro: Either Metro Center or 7th St./Convention Center
Type of Cuisine: Cajun/Creole

So I woke up on one random Sunday morning and a friend of mine texted me saying "brunch?" (I might mention that she was the original impetus for the Bitter Sweet Blog idea and was going to write it with me until she got too busy at work). At that point, I figured it would be a low key brunch and said "okay." So she told me that she wanted to go to Acadiana. Since Acadiana was on my list of places I wanted to try anyway, I said "why not" and braved the auto show traffic (which was TERRIBLE) to get down to Acadiana. Apparently they started serving brunch in September with a three course prix fix for $32. I should mention that the fried who was with me here is far pickier than I am with food, hence the introduction of "bitter" to the Bitter-Sweet equation.

Menu:

Appetizer:
Me - “pain perdu” new orleans style french toast, bananas foster sauce
Friend - chopped “b.l.t.” salad maytag blue cheese dressing, benton bacon, cherry tomatoes

Entree:
Me - blackened tilapia sweet corn pudding, collard greens, crawfish lemon tabasco butter
Friend - chicken and smoked andouille sausage jambalaya

Dessert:
Me - pecan tart praline caramel, milk chocolate ice cream
Friend - warm raisin bread pudding butterscotch sauce, tahitian vanilla ice cream

Sweet:
Pain Perdu - I told my father last night that this way of preparing french toast may be the first time I've had one that truly tops his. He proceeded to tell me of a new way that he's concocted to make french toast. Dad, your french toast is good, but I still don't think it's going to top this. Who better to make french toast than the french or their American bretheren, the cajuns. I am a giant fan of both pecans and banana's foster and this dish did not disappoint. The bananas foster sauce trounced any maple syrup I've ever had. The sauce has a hint of pecans in it that perfectly accent the foster. It was a wonderful dish. If I had one thing wrong with it, it's a little bit sweet for an appetizer. In fact, I've seen pain perdu served as a dessert before. But it's brunch, so who cares really?!?!

Decor - I think that Acadiana's atmosphere won my praises because, unlike most other New Orleans style places around, it wasn't bordering on overly tacky. The decor was classy, but simple. There was a little bit of New Orleans flair in the place, but not overwhelming. The grand private room was just in front of us, and that room looked well decorated from my view. The restaurant is located on the bottom floor of an office building overlooking a large parking lot plaza near the Washington Convention Center. Despite that, I was quite happy with the large number of windows letting in a lot of natural light and the disguise they seem to have outside of the windows to accentuate the city streets while hiding the large parking lot (perhaps the fact that our table was around the corner from that view helped).

Set Up - The tables were spread pretty well and seemed large enough for their stated capacities, the acoustics were good and the windows were well utilized. The set up of the room didn't have very much wasted space, but had plenty of open space. It was a good atmosphere to have a conversation with your dinner companions and not with the next table at the same time.

Bread Pudding: Unfortunately, I didn't get to taste any of the bread pudding, but my friend seemed to enjoy it thoroughly (mostly from her facial expressions and lack of words while eating it). I can acknowledge that it looked very good with quite an appetizing white color to it.

Bland:
Tilapia - The tilapia was pretty basic. It was a tilapia (a relatively plain fish that takes on the characteristics of what it's prepared in) that was drenched in cajun seasoning (a good cajun seasoning). It was good, but nothing that really wowed me. The crawfish lemon tabasco butter was pretty good, but perhaps not my thing over the tilapia. I think that tilapia may be a bland order in a nice restaurant in any case. For brunch, however, it fit decently. The collared greens and the sweet corn pudding, however, were fantastic. Collared greens are actually the one thing that I developed an affinity for in the dining hall in college despite all of the other terrible food. These were definitely better than the ones in the dining hall (which is actually saying something).

Service: Our server was very pleasant, accomodating (a friend had allergies) and pretty efficient. She kept our glasses full enough even though we only had water. She got the check out on time and had no real faults with her service. She would have probably gotten a perfect score on any "secret diner" evaluation for service. That said, she just didn't wow me, and you have to wow me to get good ratings on service in a nice restaurant. Her recommendations in regards to food choices were largely unhelpful and non-committal and she didn't show an overwhelming amount of knowledge of the menu.

Pecan Tart- The pecan prailine was good, but too sweet. It was basically a standard pecan pie in a better presentation. For me, a better pecan pie is generally a little bit less on the sweet side allowing the taste of the nut to take over. This was far more into the molasses than the nut. The milk chocolate ice cream was pretty standard.

Jambalaya - I didn't hear very much about the dish from my friend aside from her disappointment when it came. It seemed alright, but looked and smelled pretty standard as far as jambalaya goes.

Bitter:
BLT Salad - It was essentially a wedge of lettuce put onto a plate with the other ingredients. It didn't look very appetizing and didn't seem to require much thought or preparation. There was pretty much nothing to it. I think my appetizer was the far out winner. Again, most of my opinion is from my friend's reaction.

Recommendation:
Quality:***
Value:$$

The food was pretty stable throughout. I think it's a good location (assuming you Metro or are already down there). It's convenient to a lot of offices, the Convention Center and Verizon. I like the atmosphere and I think it's generally a pleasant experience and among the better Creole cuisine you are going to get in this area. It's a bit of a unique place for you to try and for that reason, it's worth going. That said, most of the food is good, but it won't really wow you. You won't really remember what you had a week later unless you write a food blog where you started the posting two days after eating there. It's a good place, but you have to be in the mood for Creole and not just looking for "a good restaurant."

Value: It's not a great value for brunch. I paid $32 for a good french toast, tilapia and a pecan tart. To be completely honest I don't think it was really worth $32, especially if you get rid of the atomsphere. By far the best part of my meal was the french toast which was probably the least expensive part of the meal.

No comments: