Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Me Jana

Me Jana

2300 Wilson Blvd.

Arlington, VA 22201



Type of Cuisine: Lebanese, Mezzes

Metro: Court House



I moved to the Court House are about 5 months ago and have ultimately been very disappointed with the food options in the area. I both work and live in the area now and I hardly ever use my car, so I would naturally get tired of all of the local restaurants, but I think this neighborhood has a particular dearth of good places. The restaurants around here are mostly the quick lunch, chain type places, cheap Chinese restaurants and local bars with average bar fare. While there are a couple of culinary finds among them, most of them are not fantastic (the best of the bars for food, Dr. Dremo's is closing and I will do a posting about my pleasant discovery of Ragtime's appetizers in the future). So when a few friends wanted to go for a dinner before going out in Court House, there remains only one quality place to go for a Friday night dinner and that is Me Jana (Friday night is usually my nice night, although I may write up the chicken in white wine sauce I made at home on Saturday night). Me Jana is one of those restaurants (like Vidalia and Willow) that I went to upon the recommendation of my boss. Being right in my neighborhood, I have actually been there once for lunch and now three times for dinner.



There were four of us at dinner. They had restaurant week still going there, but we didn't partake in those festivities. One of us got a regular entree and three of us ended up splitting 9 mezzes (more than we needed). We also got a bottle of wine.



Menu:

Wine: We got a Lebanese red wine that I couldn't tell you the name of ($42).

CHICKEN SHAWARMA - 8.00
Marinated chicken in garlic, lemon juice, slowly roasted. Served with garlic whip and sumac onion.

FRIED KIBBE - 7.50
Beef and burghul dumplings, stuffed with onion, pine nuts, ground beef and lamb. Served with Labneh.

LAHEM BE AJEEN - 8.00
Baked pita dough topped with ground lamb, spices, and pomegranate molasses.

ABLAMA - 7.50
Zucchini stuffed with sautéed beef, spices, pine nuts, onion and cooked in a light tomato sauce. Served with Lebanese rice.

LAMB KEBOB (mezza) - 11.00
Cubed lamb marinated in olive oil and spices.

MOZZARELLA (salad) - 8.50
Fresh Mozzarella, tomato, figs, basil and balsamic vinegar.

FATTOUCH - 7.50
A salad of tomato, cucumber, onion, radish, bell peppers, parsley, mint, tossed with olive oil, lemon juice and sumac pita chips.

GRAPE LEAVES - 6.50
Poached tender grape leaves, stuffed with rice, tomato, onion, parsley and mint, in olive oil and lemon juice with a hint of pomegranate molasses.

HOMMUS WITH MEAT - 7.50
Hommus topped with sautéed beef and roasted pine nuts.

Friend's Entree - KAFTA KEBOB - 17.00
Ground lamb and beef, mixed with onion, parsley and spices. (served w/ Lebanese rice, grilled tomato and sumac onion)

Sweet:
Service - Yes, I know, I am complimenting the service as sweet. Mark this down in your calendars folks. This is also why I have chosen to put it as first. It is the only high quality restaurant in my neighborhood and it doubles its allure as a restaurant that provides neighborhood appeal in the middle of a bunch of chains. The two owners are greeting guests as the maitre d and walking around from table to table asking how everything is. Our server was very professional, yet extremely friendly. He was not afraid to express his opinion on the menu (telling us to get the chicken shawarma instead of the shish taouk) without being pushy about it. He also understood what is unique about his restaurant as opposed to others (encouraging us to try a Lebanese wine that we didn't even think about). He was very efficient in bringing our food and drink out, kept both our wine and water glasses full and took care of our check in an efficient and appropriate manner then allowed us to sit until we finished talking and drinking our wine without molestation. The service gave the restaurant a very homey, neighborhood, friendly feeling that made you feel welcome and happy to come back. The only problem with the service is that they always bring out all of the mezzes at the same time and do so significantly earlier than the entrees. When someone is ordering a large number of mezzes, they need to manage that better.

Chicken Shawarma - I think this may be one of the reasons that I liked the server so much. He insisted that we get the shawarma and even said "If you don't like it, I'll buy it." The shawarma actually came with everything the dish says, inside of a little pita bread puff. It had a wonderful tanginess to it and the small pita breads remained hot and kept the chicken hot inside of them. There was something about mixing the ingredients together that made this better than the Shawarma at Lebanese Taverna or Zaytiniya.

Lebanese Wine: Score another one for the server. This was among the more interesting wines I've ever tasted. It definitely had more than the usual flavors of wine (grapes, oak, etc.). It had a little bit of some Lebanese dessert spices in it (maybe lotus flower?) that gave it a very unique and pleasant aftertaste.

Lahem Be Ajeen: This item comes out looking almost like a pizza (but there isn't any cheese or tomato sauce. It maintains the consistency of a pizza though as it is extremely moist and a little bit floppy. It is a fantastically flavourful dish that I have had several times. It never disappoints. It is a unique creation that I have never seen on another menu.

Fattouch: Or as my friend insisted that I refer to it, the "fat touch." I say that, yet this is undoubtedly the healthiest item that we ordered. Usually I don't like meditteranean salads very much, particularly when they advertise the use of mint. To me, it's a breath freshener, not a food. That said, this salad was quite good. The vegetables maintained their moisture despite the spices used and the flavor was an excellent precursor and mid-meal contrast to many of the other meaty flavors.

Pita Bread: Similar to it's competitors, Me Jana supplies you with virtually unlimited fluffy pita bread. They are very thin balloon-like breads with hot air in the middle. Unlike the competitors though, they serve the bread with olives, olive oil, yogurt sauce and thyme. The server suggest that you dip the bread in a little bit of olive oil and then have the thyme stick to the bread with the olive oil. It's a very unique flavor. If you like thyme, it's great, if you don't, you don't have to do it and the bread stands well on its own. It's also great for dipping in or putting the mezzes on.

Bland:
Set up/Decor: The set up is decent. It's not overly packed together, but the acoustics are not fantastic throughout the place. It is not difficult to hear your dining companions, but I think if the place gets very crowded, it could be. There is not a lot of room for people to wait because the bar is rather small and I have seen it get crowded. This can cause some overflow into the dining room and make the restaurant rather loud. The tables are relatively well spaced out. The walls are relatively bare and the atmosphere tends to focus on low lighting and candle light. While I applaud this motif for not being distracting, there just isn't much there.

Mozzarella: It was alright but there was nothing terribly special to this dish. I feel that if you're looking for mozzarella, you're probably better off with an Italian restaurant. The mozzarella itself was good, but not incredible and served in small circles of the cheese. It wasn't a bad dish, but not the best thing on the table.

Lamb Kabob: I think this one may have been the night I went there, because I have had this before and it was very good. This time, while cooked to a nice medium rare, the small pieces of lamb were a little bit dry and the flavor of the marinade hadn't taken them over as much as it has in the past. The marinade on the lamb is generally very tangy and it augments the flavor of the lamb. I suppose that you need to watch out for it being a little bit dry.

Grape Leaves: The grape leaves were good, but not great. I think this is a testament more to grape leaves than to the restaurant. It was no different than any other grape leaves and yet I always order grape leaves. They are never great, but they are generally consistent and they are a nice light alternative to the mostly heavy meals of mezzes.

Hommus with Meat: I've had the Hommus before and it is a really good hommus. It is very smooth and the taste is a little more subtle than some of the "in your face" ones that you can get at other places. It definitely has flavor to it, but not enough of a garlicky and sour sting that it gets you to make a weird face. If this were just the hommus, it would have been in the sweet column. The only problem is that the meat in this dish tended to dry it out, make it difficult to eat on the pita bread and was basically superfluous. I'd recommend the hommus, but not the hommus with meat.

Kafta Kebob: The kafta kebob is just okay. I've had it before for lunch. It has a decently spicy flavor to it, but like most kafta kebob is a little bit too salty. It is a little bit more dry than I would hope for. The rice and tomato side dishes are good, but again nothing that can pull this dish over the top.

Bitter:

Ablama: We got this dish because we wanted to try something a little bit different, but I think you're better served at this restaurant if you like eggplant (myself and one other person at my table were not). While we enjoyed the name of the dish and how it sounded similar to the last name of one of the Presidential candidates, the dish wasn't very good. I felt that the zucchini came apart too easily, particularly when it was cut, making it difficult to split. The tomato sauce was a little bit too light and for some reason, the meat got a little dry inside of the zucchini while the dish in general had a bit of a watery flavor and soggy feel.

Fried Kibbe: This dish wasn't bad, but it falls into the bitter category because of its comparison to most of the competitors. I have had fried kibbe at most of these places and this is the only thing Me Jana does where I feel that it is vastly topped by the others. It was surprisingly low on flavor and definitely a little bit dry. All in all, I would consider it disappointing.

Recommendation:
Quality: ***.5
Value: $$$$

I wouldn't necessarily consider it a night out for a very fancy meal, but it's a good meal that I think could qualify for a middle-range occassion. It's definitely not an average weekday dinner. I think it's a very good restaurant primarily if you go for the mezzes instead of the entrees (although they want to push you to the entrees). I've had both and I think the mezzes are more worth it. Also, the service is fantastic. It's just hard to get four stars from me (above that is virtually impossible).

I think it's a great value, particularly for the mezzes. You tend to get larger portions than at Lebanese Taverna or Zaytinya for the mezzes, so you need to plan accordingly. That said, the four of us could have easily gotten out with a hearty and delicious meal for around $20 apiece before tip. In my opinion that's a good price for a comfortable, weekend meal that you'll probably talk about afterwards.

4 comments:

Justin S. said...

Nice memory! I think the wine was Chatteau something or other... or something like that.

Justin S. said...

Debby and I went to Lia's last night, and I had duck proscuitto, which you recently commented on. Actually, it was part of "Duck Three Ways." The entree was very good, although the proscuitto was probably the weakest part. I highly recommend Lia's.

DSL said...

Ah, Justin mentioned it already. I really enjoyed Lia's, surprisingly so since it was restaurant week and you know that I'm cynical about that. Very enjoyable service and delicious food. Justin's meal was very good, but I think I ordered even better than he did. So if you're ever in Friendship Heights...

Andy said...

Wow Friendship Heights. I used to make my way over there more often and plan things there. Ever since I stopped playing soccer over there, my trips to the Maryland side have definitely dwindled some. I suppose I'll need an invite.